Saturday, October 25, 2008

News Flash: Right Foot Now in Protective Custody!

It could be worse. Really it could. I could be strictly off of my feet for 12 weeks. But I am ever so fortunate, and I do not say that lightly, to have a reduced sentence.

I'm having the dreaded ankle surgery. Lateral Ligament Reconstruction with Arthroscopy to be exact. And you know what? It ain't so bad.

Don't get me wrong. I came through a whole lot of dread, tears, and prayers to be able to even peck that four word sentence. When I found out on Wednesday that the MRI results weren't, shall we say in my favor, I cried all afternoon. I'm not talking about a dainty weeping that a single kleenex could handle. I'm talking about a lock yourself in the bedroom, lay across the bed, ask God why, bury your face in the pillow, ask God for Grace, deep moaning, ask God why again, fingers locked in your hair, who-cares-about-your-makeup-red splotchy- faced cry. I was in bad, bad shape. If any of you have ever thought I am given to exaggeration, had you seen me that day, you would call the above an understatement.

For a moment, I thought, "Goodness, Rita! Get yourself together!" Then I immediately resolved, "No. This is exactly what I need to do. Get it all out!!" It was a catharsis, one that was much needed. I had built up so much anxiety about the pending surgery.

Can any of you understand what I mean? So much changes with surgery. First of all, there is always, always, always, a financial burden. Even when the insurance is paying at 100% (Praise God), there are always other expenses. Guess what? When Kevin shops, it cost more! When the kids are on auto pilot for breakfast and lunch, the kind of stuff they need to eat cost more. I wish I could submit a claim form for these things, but BC BS would laugh me out of Georgia. As a believer, I know God meets my needs, but I want to be transparent here. I'm a wife and a worrier. And I feel like my lousy health is always costing us money.

Other things that change with surgery are homeschooling, church, housecleaning, bill paying, driving....you get the picture. How many of you mothers can afford (not just monetarily) to be out of commission? Can I get a witness?? You know the old saying...A man works from sun to sun, but a woman's work is never done! So, you can see why I need the nervous break down, I mean the good cry?!?!?!?

When my appointment rolled around Friday, I had resolved in my heart that I was going to be a soldier brave and true and face this battle head on. And then I got knocked flat on my hiney.

How bad can a sprain be, you ask? I tore that joker up! I tore the ligament very close to the bone, severing it in two. I ripped my deltoid tendon on the inside of my right ankle. I have a severely bruised bone and severe bone swelling. Not to mention loads of other medical terms that I have never heard of. I need the arthroscopy just to make sure I don't have cartilage floating around in there.

Unlike 90% of the ligaments that heal on their own, my ligament has formed scar tissue on both of the severed ends and is pretty much anchoring down right where it is at. No hope of meshing back together. Sheeesh....this sounds like a bad love story.

With surgery being the only solution, I bravely asked the Doctor to tell me how long my down time was and how difficult the surgery would be. I told him, "Tell it to me straight, Doc. I like my Doctors like my Preachers, straight and honest."

And here's the good news for me. After the surgery, I will be in a splint for 10 days. I will then have a cast for 4 weeks, but I can walk in the cast. This is what made me soooo happy! Walking within 2 weeks?!?! I was ecstatic! Then I will progress to a boot, which I will wear for another 4 weeks. Then I will finally wear a brace for a couple of weeks while I do physical therapy. 12 weeks total. I know, I know. It's a long time. But I was thinking I was going to be completely off my feet for 12 weeks. This is really thrilling news for me.

No doubt, it will still be a long road. Thankfully, the ladies of my church will step in and cook and clean for me. They are a God send, whom I thank in advance. And I thank God. I should be able to at least stand without the aid of crutches at Thanksgiving dinner. I may even get to do a little shopping. That is, if I can get Kevin to drive me around. This is my driving foot (and my piano pedal foot).

So much will have to be altered while my right foot is in protective custody. By the time this terrible crime against my own body has passed, my right foot will be ready to walk again, play again, drive again. I can't wait. Until then, it will have to get used to being sequestered. Actually, I will be the one that will have to make the adjustment!

No comments: