Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving on the Way and the Tradition Still Holds

Thanksgiving is almost here, and I have to say, it's one of my favorite holidays! I love the menu planning, the cooking, the cleaning...as much work as it is, Thanksgiving dinner is so rewarding.

Ah, yes...Thanksgiving dinner. How I love all that it entails. But this year will be different. Kevin dearest will be manning the kitchen. Since my ankle surgery is still dictating my life, my wonderful husband will prepare the feast.

Mind you, it would be sooo easy to just run up to my Mother's house in NC. It's even a little tempting. But Kevin and I have been trying to make a tradition of our own, and that's Thanksgiving at home. Our home.

I have to give Kevin proper adulation, for most men would be making a B line to their Mother-in-Law's house. After all, he's preparing a meal for a couple of teenage boys, a tween daughter, and a precious but persnickety wife! But he's very serious about our traditions. To be honest, this isn't the first Thanksgiving meal he has thrown on the table.

The first Thanksgiving supper (not the one with the pilgrims) was in 1998. I had to have my gal bladder removed the day before Thanksgiving. At that time, our tradition was to go to my Mother's home. There have been many medical advances, and even though they don't saw you in half anymore when they remove your gallbladder, I was unable to travel. We had all the food, but no cook...so I thought! Kevin prepared a wonderful spread, and was right proud of himself for the good job!

Some may say, "Oh, you were just really hungry. That's why it tasted so good. Appreciation is a great seasoning sauce." No. The man can flat out cook. And that's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to Thursday.

Wives, imagine. Sitting back on Thursday morning while your husband prepares a feast! Turkey, Honey baked ham, cream corn, dressing, sweet potato casserole, green beans, rolls, and last but not least, Kevin's home-made pumpkin pie. He has that one mastered. I will relish every single bite. I've got it sooo good. ;p

It will mean alot of work for Kevin and the kids, but it will be a wonderful day. I hope all of you have a wonderful day, and please, never cease to be thankful.


No comments: