Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sacrifice

Over the past month or so, the theme of service and sacrifice has been strongly impressed upon my heart and mind. The two go hand in hand; quite inseparable, I'd say. And though many of us would like to say we are in the "service" of the Lord, I'm afraid that very few are making much of a sacrifice to do so.

I'm no Biblical expositor, nor have I ever claimed to be. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the word 'sacrifice' implies death. In this particular area of service, death has to come to our own selves. After all, don't we have to move out of the way in order to think of others first?

There is a current situation that comes to mind immediately. There's a dear lady in our Church that has been diagnosed with cancer. She is almost finished with her radiation treatments, but it has been a long, long journey for her. Fortunately, our congregation has done several things to try to be a blessing to their family. We've cooked meals (daily at first), some have cleaned her house, we've given money to help with the travel expenses to her radiation treatments. Our only regret is that we couldn't do more. Through all of our efforts to help this family, there was a sacrifice made. And even though it's a 'sacrifice', it brings most people joy just knowing they are helping someone in need. It's very simplistic, I know, but some people are missing the boat.

Why is it that people can't seem to sacrifice a little time, a little money, a little effort to help someone else? Over the past 12 years as a Pastor's wife, I've seen many situations where people were just flat out unwilling to serve others because it would call for some sacrifice on their part. What's even worse is those who serve and then complain about their sacrifice! Goodness....don't bother.

I've seen people sit on their hands while meals were being assigned for a special meeting. Perhaps it was a cost factor. Perhaps it was selfish heart that didn't want to serve. Some people just don't want to give of themselves because it will require them to give up something they have. Would it be so terrible to cook your pot roast for someone in need or a visiting preacher and perhaps your family feast on sandwiches instead? Or is that too much of a sacrifice?

I remember a situation about 6 years ago that perfectly illustrates this point. My house was on the market, and at that time, my health was less than stellar. My family and I were having to go out of town alot, and there was always the chance of a realtor having to show my house while I was away.

Our Church has always been blessed with a unique unity and with a group of ladies that will work. Of course, there has always been exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, we have always had very caring, productive ladies.

One particular weekend my family had to go out of town. My house was a disaster! I didn't really have time to clean it, but I wasn't able to physically. To my surprise, while I was away some of the ladies from the Church had come in my home and thoroughly cleaned my house. Top to bottom, it was clean as a whistle!

I have to admit, it was very hard to accept that others had come into my home and seen my mess. It hurt my pride. But at the same time, the Lord helped me to see what a tremendous blessing the ladies of my Church were to me! And even though I was embarrassed at the mess, I was humbled that my sisters in Christ thought enough of me to clean my house so that the realtor could show a clean home to a prospective buyer.

The Sunday after I returned, I thanked all the ladies involved. I thanked each of them individually for their sacrifice, for that's what it was in my opinion.

I thanked one lady in particular by saying, "Thank you for cleaning my house. I know you probably left your house a mess just to clean mine, and I appreciate what you ...."

I was cut off abruptly. She responded very sharply, "I wouldn't come clean your house if my house wasn't clean!"

I was stunned. I didn't really know what to say. As our British friends would say, I was gobsmacked. All I could hear was, "I wouldn't do something for you that I don't already have for myself."

I thanked her anyway, but it didn't seem like as much of a blessing from her as it did the other ladies. It wouldn't have mattered if her house was sparkling clean or as messy as mine, the attitude of her comment said it all; "I wouldn't have cleaned your house if my house wasn't clean."

Let's just think of where all of our sacrifices would be if that were the standard. I will do this for so and so if I have it myself.... I will serve in this capacity if I have this or that for myself....Doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice does it?

This notion of service without sacrifice is pure folly. You can't serve the Lord or others without a measure of sacrifice. Everyone can't sacrifice the same amount, but everyone can have a heart to serve. That is, if they want to have a heart of service.

No comments: