Monday, May 11, 2009

Shiloh Update...

Well, I had to leave my precious pup with the doctor. He has to have X-rays, blood work, and immunizations. So....I have to leave him there until around 3:00 pm.

The vet said that Westies are prone to Cushing's disease. He actually displays many of the symptoms, but it has to be diagnosed through blood work. And the poor baby already has arthritis in his hip and a compressed disk in his spine, so he has to get NEW X-rays to evaluate those problems.

I know Shiloh is feeling pretty bad...he didn't even bark when Kevin and I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride. He just trotted to the back door. He usually makes such a ruckus when we say "ride" that we only say right as we are walking out the door. Otherwise, he will bark and howl until he climbs in the truck. But today, he just looked at us without so much as a grunt.

During my sleepless night with Shiloh, I decided to see how he would respond to his favorite treat...sliced cheese. Normally, he assumes the begging position as soon as he hears the wrapper rattle. Then he'll roll over quickly to show his eagerness to do whatever it takes to get that piece of cheese. But today he just looked up at me like, "Cut the dramatics; give me the cheese!" He ate the slice of cheese very gingerly, as if he were afraid to move his mouth too much.

I suppose the tests today will tell us all we need to know. I hate that my little buddy feels so bad...it's almost like he's depressed. The vet even mentioned that he may need "doggy Prozac." Good grief! Wouldn't that take the cake?!?!?! Only in the Whitman family would a dog need Prozac. And Shiloh's not even female! LOL!!

1 comment:

Rachel Ellington said...

Hope your little cutie is doing ok!