Friday, February 6, 2009

Taxes Done!!

I'm way ahead of the game.

Way ahead.

Remember, I just had my 2007 taxes done less than four months ago. And now I have already had my 2008 returns done and e-filed. What a blessing!!

I spent about 9 hours last Friday getting my bank statements together. I had already done 5 months worth if that gives you any clue as to how long it takes to pour through my statements. I spent another 4 hours Saturday getting my expense receipts organized. But at last, I finished my end of my tax preparations at around 6:30 p.m. Saturday.

What exactly are you looking for when you are "pouring" through your statements, you might be asking?? Deductions that only the clergy can claim. Our records of payments for cellphone bills, utilities, gas purchases made on my debit card, etc. Of course, this whole process would be much easier if I would just do this this at the end of every month instead of waiting until the end of the year. ;~>

Anyway, my accountant Madeline is great! She specializes in Ministry taxes and is worth the hour and a half drive. It's only once a year, and I enjoy the yearly "catch me up" chat we always end up having.

After about 5 hours at the accountants office, I managed to hit the afternoon commute traffic in Atlanta. Lucky me. And it gets worse. While sitting in traffic, I started feeling achy. I felt like I couldn't make it home but knew I had a long way to go. I happened to have a thermometer with me in my SUV, and sure enough, I was running a fever. We had about a dozen people out of Church last night due to the flu, so I hope that's not what I've got.

I prayed for God to please let me get home. After 2 hours of stop and go traffic, I finally made it back, and not a moment too soon. As soon as I got home, I began having chills and an extremely sore throat. The fever finally broke, but I still feel lousy. Thanks to blog spot's scheduling feature, I will be snoozing peacefully in bed by the time this posts on Friday morning. I need rest right now. Not the flu.

Hoping to feel better soon. February is a month near and dear to me. My mother in law, who passed away three years ago, would have been 60 on February 17Th. I plan to write about our family's journey into the dreaded diagnosis of cancer and how we fought, prayed, loved, laughed, but in the end, ultimately lost a dear family member. More on that later. For now, sweet sleep for Mrs. Rita.

No comments: