Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Carolina Talk

Sometimes I suffer from insomnia. So I came up with this list of words that I used while growing up in the foothills of North Carolina. My husband says we have a strange language there in Forest City. I began to wonder if this vocabulary was exclusive of “Far City” (as the locals call it) or if it was more of a regional dialect. I grew up using a vocabulary consisting of words I couldn't even spell. I’m not sure you could find some of these words in even the most diverse dictionary.

Take this quiz to see if you know the definitions. Be sure to scroll down after taking the quiz to see the answers and examples of the correct usage of each word. After you see your score, please leave a comment! I'd like to know how you did!

1. kwire (pronounced the same as choir)

a. an electrical item
b. a group of singers in the church
c. strange behavior

2. sup

a. an abbreviated form of “what’s up?”
b. to drink
c. short for “sippy cup”

3. swig

a. a small swag, used for decoration
b. a broken off piece of a twig
c. to drink

4. kyarn

a. untidy or filthy
b. a brand of yarn
c. an unofficial yard sport

5. poke

a. what you do to your sister when she starts talking in church
b. a paper sack
c. what you put a pig in

6. Lawdy Pete

a. your uncle’s first and middle name
b. a phrase similar to “my goodness!”
c. hot sauce

7. Hope My Die

a. the name of a soap opera
b. your last will and testament
c. a saying that means “Honest and true. I swear to it!”




The Answers:

1. C Sally shore is kwire. She won’t stand near the window while it’s stormin outside!
2. B Hey, you thirsty? You can have a sup of my Pepsi.
3. C Don’t worry about getting a teaspoon for this cough medicine. I’ll just swig it.
4. A Just look at your bedroom! It's all kyarned up!
5. B Here, put your lunch in this poke.
6. B Lawdy Pete! It shore is hot today!
7. C Honest Ma. I didn’t touch your piggy bank. Hope my die!!

How did you score???

7 Correct: Bona fide Carolinian

5-6 Correct: Hillbilly at heart

3-4 Correct: You've seen a few episodes of Beverly Hillbillies, and that's about it!

1-2 Correct: Have you ever been out of the suburbs, city slicker??


1 comment:

Jessica said...

I am a "Hillbilly at Heart"! That is true because I was not born in the Carolinas. I just live here! ;) (Although I must admit the I probably wouldn't know any of these words if I hadn't lived here for 20 years. I was born in Michigan and mostly raised in Florida.)