Tuesday, March 3, 2009

SNOW!!!

Well, it's not often we get snow here in Georgia. But it's even less often we get it like we got it Sunday! It started out with torrential down pours of rain late Saturday night. It rain all morning Sunday, so I figured the snow would never lay. But behold! We had a good snow. Within 5 minutes of starting, it had already cover the huge puddles of water in our yard and along side our street.
By late afternoon, we had this to contend with!!! My SUV was iced in. All the puddles of water had slushed over with ice and snow, so the SUV wasn't going any where!!

The truck wasn't in much better shape!


The streets quickly turned treacherous.



But Jordan and Savannah found the yard to be alot of fun!!!




Daniel had a little trouble keeping his footing.



A dismal but beautiful sight....



We ended up with about 5 inches of snow!

I haven't seen it snow this hard since 1993 when I lived in Greenville. We had a full blown blizzard! Prior to that, I was a child the last time I had seen snow flakes the size of quarters. It was beautiful to watch, but when the power went out, I was ready for it to stop. Electric heat is great, but no electricity = no heat! Fortunately, our electricity was out for only a few hours. The city of Commerce, though small, has a fast response team when it comes to city utilities. No complaints here.
Of course, the roads were so bad, we had to cancel Sunday night service. Kevin and I ventured to the gas station and Walmart, which is only 2.5 miles from my house, and I was scared to death. The truck did fine, but the roads were so bad, I 'bout near hyperventilated.
Kevin works for Banks County and the Comissioners decided to close the courthouse on Monday....on Sunday! Yippeee! A free day for the family. Kevin was off work and the kids were "off"school. We got some cleaning done, but we spent most of the day loafing and relaxing. Nice thing to do.
One thing of interest....southerners are so funny. A neighbor down the street decided to shovel his drive Monday morning. My thought was, "Hey, it's going to melt by the end of the day. This ain't Buffalo, buddy." But you know, that's his business. If he wants to shovel his drive way, fine. What really made me scratch my head was the fact that he was wearing only shorts and a ball cap. It was only 37 degrees. Whatever!?!?!

No comments: