Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Constant streams of music....but none of it is coming from me!

Strange thing happened last Wednesday night....

I haven't been on the piano for two months now. I have had a wonderful fill in, and I am so thankful she has stepped in. But alas, she went on a trip to Florida this past week. So that left only two choices: no piano at all or I fill in for the "fill in." I filled in.

It was painful. Honestly, I was afraid I had forgotten how to play. But it all came back to me. It strained my ankle quite a bit, so we only had a few congregationals. Needless to say, I was happy to see the fill in come home!

I miss making music. At home, we have constant music. All three of my children play the guitar. A couple of them are tackling the mandolin. Every once in a while, someone will pick away at the banjo. My children are even returning to their love for the piano.

But no music from me.

On a happy note (pun intended), we now have a violin. It was a gift from my father to my eldest son, but I have a feeling my daughter will master it before him.

My middle son Jordan also got an instrument for Christmas. My loving Dad gave Jordan a hand made custom guitar. He had a friend in Vietnam make him about 6 of these beautiful guitars. These jewels are such high quality, I would be hard pressed to find one of equal quality here in the states for under $1000. Spruce top, rosewood back and sides, abalone trim, wood tuning pegs; it's a real beauty. It sounds like a Martin, and it has been filling my home with endless music ever since it crossed the thresh hold.

But still no music from me.

I'm growing impatient to get back on the piano (the key here is the ankle). This ankle might as well be bionic because the surgery cost a whopping $22K. So, I really need to be careful and baby it as much as necessary. I don't think my insurance company will want to pay for a repeat of this surgery on the count of my negligence.

What's the old saying, good things come to those who wait? In the meantime, I'll enjoy the pickin'and grinnin' going on here at home.

No comments: