Wednesday, January 7, 2009

So, as of this morning, I only have 5 days left of wearing this ridiculous looking boot. As you can see, it screams "Lost in Space!" It screams it so loud that without fail, anytime I am in public people gawk and turn their heads. What I find especially humorous is people who don't turn their heads but follow my boot with their eyes as they pass by. I have long anticipated someone walking into a wall because their eyes were transfixed on my space walker. Fortunately, it never happened. Honestly, I would have a hard time not staring at something so ugly.

I'm overjoyed, but I have a nagging feeling that transitioning into a regular shoe won't be quick and easy. It seems like it would be easy, but things like this never go as planned. The swelling will surely make it impossible for my regular shoes to fit. And then there's the brace that I will continue to wear for the following 4 weeks. That's going to add bulk to my already swollen foot. Flip flops are an option I have had to keep open for the past 9 months, but I'm a little tired of them. Plus, IT'S COLD!!
The truth of the matter is, I may be coordinating my Sunday wardrobe around a few pair of flip flops. It's hard to be dapper when your shoes are making so much noise. I have some nice clothes I'd like to wear, but flip flops make the mix seem a little faux pas. Thank God, I attend a little country church where pretense holds no place!
I suppose time will tell. Shoes are really a small matter, especially when compared to the extent of the injury. Just getting back on the piano will bring me much joy, no matter what's on my feet!

No comments: